Images of Medieval Art and Architecture
The Treasure of Saint Denis
Manuscript: Evangelary of Saint Denis
Adapted from Félibien, Plate II, Item Z
There are also some vey ancient manuscripts whose covers
are for the most part extremely rich.
Félibien, pages 540. Translated by Jane Vadnal.
- Taken to the Louvre September 30, 1793.
- In 1793 the mounting of gold vermeil sent to the Mint,presumably to
be melted down
- Manuscript sent to the Bibliothèque Nationale in January, 1881.
Louvre, p. 108
- Currently in the Bibliothèque Nationale, ouv. Acq. Lat. 305.
- Parchment, 158 ff
- Height 21 cm, Width 14.5 cm
- Contains the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as translated by
- Probably dates from the 10th century.
- Made of elephant ivory
- Height 15.4. Width 8.2 cm.
- Inscription: LACU GABON
- Subject matter :The armies of Abner and Jaob at the lake of Gabaon
- Probably made in the Court of Charles the Bald, ca. 870-5.
Louvre, p. 108.
Click here to see other manuscripts
in the Treasure of Saint-Denis.
Félibien, pages 540.
Louvre, no. 15., pp. 108-111.
Montesquiou-Fezensac, I and II, nos 184 and 347; III, pp 90-2, pl 84-5.
Created by J Vadnal, July, 1998