Images of Medieval Art and Architecture
France: Benedictine Abbey Church of Saint-Denis
Twelfth-Century Windows: Infancy Window
here for a screen sized version.
here for a large "Archive Version".
The panels marked in yellow are ninteenth-century restorations. The
panels marked in red contain some twelfth-century glass. Click on the twelfth-century
panels for more information about them.
|A-6 Kneeling Angel
B-6 Death of the Virgin
C-6 Kneeling Angel
B-5 Boy Jesus in the Temple
|A-4 Massacre of the Innocents
B-4 Flight to Egypt
C-4 Massacre of the Innocents
|A-3 Dream of the Magi
B-3 The Magi
C-3 Adoration of the Magi
|A-2 Annunciation to the Shepherds
C-2 Presentation at the Temple
C-1 Joseph and Angel
Other extant fragments:
- Herod Recieves the Magi: Champs-sur-Marne, Dépôt des Monuments
Historiques (Grodecki , figs. 83-85)
- Magi before Herod: Champs-sur-Marne, Dépôt des Monuments
Historiques (Grodecki , figs. 86-87)
- Flight to Egypt: Raymond Pitcairn Collection, Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania,
Radiance and Reflection no. 25
- Flight to Egypt: Wilton, England, Parish Church (Grodecki , figs.
- Virgin and Child (Part of the Adoration of the Magi): Wilton, England,
Parish Church ((Grodecki , figs. 96-97)
- Shepherds go to Bethelehem: Norwich, D. King Collection (Grodecki ,
- Fragment of Presentation at the Temple: Wilton, England, Parish Church
(Grodecki , figs. 100-01)
- Presentation at the Temple: Twycross, England, Parish Church (Grodecki
, figs. 88-89)
- People of Soutine or Arrival in Egypt: Wilton, England, Parish Church
(Grodecki , figs. 102-03)
- Prophet Jeremiah: Glasgow, Burrell Collection
(Grodecki , pl. VIII, figs. 90-92)
Compare with other twelfth century
Compare with Infancy Window at Chartres Cathedral.
Grodecki (1976), pp. 81-92.
Cothren, Michael. "A Re-Evaluation of the Iconography an d Design
of the Infancy Window from the Abbey of Saint-Denis," Gesta
17 (1978), 74-75.
The Royal Abbey of Saint-Denis in the Time of Abbot Suger (1122-1151)
(exhibition catalogue) (New York: The Cloisters), 1981, no. 13.
Radiance and Reflection: Medieval Art from the Raymond Pitcairn Collection
(exhibition catalogue), ed. Jane Hayward and Walter Cahn (New York: The
Metropolitan Museum, 1982), no. 25.
Cothren, Michael. "The Twelfth-Century Infancy of Christ Window
from Saint-Denis: A Re-Evaluation of its Design and Iconography,"
Art Bulletin LXVIII (1986), 398-420.
Last updated by:JV Date: 03/98