Images of Medieval Art and Architecture
The Treasure of Saint Denis
Crystal Engraved with Crucifix
Adapted from Félibien, Plate III, Item D
London, British Museum
Rock crystal on which is engraved a crucifix with the
images of the Holy Virgin and of Saint John. In this reliquary there are
also some pieces of the clothing (habit?) of Saint Louis. The mounting
is of gold decorated with pearls and precious stones.
Félibien, pages 540-1. Translated by Jane Vadnal.
- Selected for the Louvre Museum, Dec. 5, 1793
- Sold in 1798
- Acquired by the British Museum, from the Webb collection, in 1855.
- Engraved rock crystal
- Height, 15.6 cm, width, 10.5cm
- Top: th the right and left of the cross, personifications of the Sun
and Moon, holding whips with three lashes
- Below the arms of the cross, the Virgin Mary to the left and St. John
to the Right.
- At the foot of the Cross: Dead serpent
- Currently in the British Museum, EG 561.
Félibien, pages 209, 256, and 540.
Louvre,no. 17, pp. 116-8.
Crosby (1981), no. 24, p. 107.
Created by J Vadnal, July, 1998