Images of Medieval Art and Architecture
The Treasure of Saint Denis
Chalice and Paten
Adapted from Félebien, Plate 1 (Item P)
Chalice and paten made of gold vermeil.
Félebien, page 538, Translated by Jane Vadnal.
- Sent to the Louvre in1793
- Chalice sent to the archbishop of Rouen in 1802
- Now lost
- Chalice made to replace one of gold melted down in 1588
- Chalice decorated with the apostles holding the insturments of their
martyrdom (Description of 1726)
- Paten decorated with relief; instruments of the Passion on the border
and in the center, two angels holding the head of Saint Denis (Des cription
Louvre, no. 75, p 331
Montesquiou-Fezensac, I and II, no 66 bis, III, p. 6.
Created by J Vadnal, July, 1998