Glossary of Medieval Art and Architecture

keep or donjon: A freestanding defense tower in a castle complex.

Compare with matte-and-bailey.

Click here for pronounciation.

Go to Main
Glossary Page

All images and html code in this project are © Jane Vadnal. Any use of them without her express written consent is prohibited. Email:
Created by Jane Vadnal 05/97